Protecting You And Your Family Is Important To Me

I’m no longer able to pay child support. What do I do?

On Behalf of | Jan 12, 2023 | Family Law |

The nature of the parent’s relationship notwithstanding, every child deserves the care of both parents until they can be independent. And most parents take this responsibility seriously.

However, when the matter ends in court and a child support order is issued, things become totally different. A child support order is binding. Thus, if the court directs you to pay child support, it is in your best interest to follow through with this order.

Failing to pay child support has consequences

Texas takes child support orders extremely seriously. Going to jail is a real possibility for parents who fail or refuse to pay child support. And besides jail time, failure to pay child support can also lead to the following:

  • Your paycheck can be garnished
  • Your driver’s license will be suspended or revoked
  • Your tax refunds and lottery winnings will be intercepted

So what do you do if you cannot pay child support?

Circumstances change, and the family court understands this. This explains why child support orders are never cast in stone.

If you are no longer able to keep up with your child support obligations, do not sit back and do nothing. This will only complicate matters for you. Instead, let your co-parent know why you are behind in child support. Perhaps you have lost your job or are dealing with a medical situation that is draining your finances.

Once you’ve made your co-parent aware of your financial situation, head straight to the family court for a child support modification. Again, your reasons for modifying child support must be justifiable before the court. If you are unable to fulfill your child support obligation, you need to explore your legal options.